VizWiz

Launch, grow, and unlock your career in data

November 12, 2010

Is it a cherry pie?

2 comments
If you've been a follower of this blog for a while, you are well aware of my dislike of pie charts. I criticized a pie chart from a poll conducted by Digital Photography School in a blog post back in April. Today they published the results from another polls, but this time, I'm not too unhappy with their use of a pie chart.



In this case, their use of the pie chart is somewhat acceptable because:
  1. There are only three data points.
  2. The chart starts at the zero position.
  3. The largest slice is first (though it would be better if they were in descending order all the way around).
  4. The results can be easily discerned.
It truly hurts me to say a pie chart doesn't irk me, but I'll let this one slide, mainly because it's my favorite photography website.

2 comments :

  1. Sorry Andy, but I don't agree! Even in a simple pie like this, it is necessary to use colour to display the slices.

    Its easy to think the colour means something, so there must be something wrong with the big red slice, even though it is big...

    Keep trying though, maybe there is a good pie out there somewhere!

    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear ya Tom. I'm trying so, so hard to find a good example of a pie chart. I have a strange feeling the search could go on forever.

    I guess I was being too nice.

    ReplyDelete