December 30, 2010
UK University Elitism? Independent vs. Free Meal Students – Part 1
This is part one of a two part analysis of private education in the UK. The chart below was published on Flickr by li_jacq.
Two simple improvements:
- A bar chart would be more effective than a column chart because you don’t have to turn your head to read the labels
- The data should be ranked. This seemingly sporadic display does not provide any insight
I pulled down the data to reconstruct the chart.
As you can see, I’ve made the adjustments I noted above and now you can make more sense of the data.
My curiosity is leading me to look into this further. My questions include:
- Why are only 16 universities listed? These don’t represent the top 16 for this measure, so what’s their significance versus the others?
- What’s the relationship between Independent and Free Meal school students?
- Does the region of the UK impact anything?
I’ll answer these questions and more in a future post.