Yesterday I wrote about a method for embedding a presentation within a Tableau dashboard. Of course, this spawned the opposite question:
Is there a way to embed a Tableau Dashboard in a PowerPoint presentation?Good news! The answer is YES! Here’s how.
Step 1 – Install the LiveWeb PowerPoint add-in (instructions via LiveWeb)
- Download the add-in here
- Extract the contents of the zip to a folder
- Launch PowerPoint
- Click on Tools | Add-ins to bring up the add-ins window
- Click on Add to bring up the 'Add New PowerPoint Add-in' dialog box
- Navigate to the folder where the contents of the zip file was extracted and select 'LiveWeb.ppa' and click on OK.
- You might be prompted with the macro virus warning. Enable the macros. When the Add-in is properly loaded, it will display a 'X' against the add-in name.
Step 2 – Go to your Tableau dashboard (either on Tableau Public or Tableau Server) and copy the URL link for the viz.
You have two options for getting the URL for the viz.
- From the browser address
- Click on the Share button on the bottom left of the viz and copy the Email link
Step 3 – Go back to PowerPoint and click on the Web Page option on the LiveWeb add-in. A wizard will appear.
Step 4 – Enter the URL for your viz from Step 2, click Add, then click Next
Step 5 – Choose the “Yes, refresh web page automatically” option. This ensures that your viz updates live from the source (Public or Server) each time you launch the PowerPoint presentation. Click Next.
Step 6 – Choose the size and position of the viz in the slide. I prefer 100% so that the viz is as big as possible, but the default is 90%. Click Next.
Step 7 – Click Finish
You should receive the following message if you successfully embedded the web page.
Step 8 – Launch the presentation
Some notes and observations:
- The viz might be a bit slower to load than when viewed in Public or Server. This viz took about 10 seconds to load.
- It can be tricky to get the mouse pointer to show up. You’ll have to play around with it to see what I mean.